Saturday, April 6, 2019

Packing...

Whenever you're packing for a trip; be it an extended vacation or just a quick weekend getaway, there will inevitably come a time when you ask yourself that one question travelers have pondered since the dawn of time: "Have I packed too much?"

Generally speaking, if you feel you need to sincerely ask yourself that question, the answer is probably a resounding "yes". After all, you never want to risk forgetting something, so it's not any great leap of logic to think you might be taking a bit too much. And that's perfectly okay.

Usually.





The obvious downside of packing too much is that it's quite possible you'll run afoul of the 50lb maximum allowed by most airlines for a checked bag. If you do this, you're going to pay for it. Charges usually range from around $35 to $50, depending on the airline. And, if your fare is one which requires you to pay a fee to check your first bag, well, your suitcase could end up becoming a rather pricey commodity.




If you're flying internationally, odds are your first suitcase will be free of charge, assuming you don't over-pack and incur a fee for that. However, if you're unable to get your bag in at under 50lbs, consider a second suitcase. This will accomplish a couple of things. First, it's often less expensive to check a second bag than it is to pay the additional overweight fee for the first bag. And, depending on your fare, you may get the second bag free, as well. Second, if you have two suitcases, you can spread the weight between the two, all but guaranteeing that you don't incur the additional fee (and, if you do incur that fee with two bags, you probably are taking too much). Lastly, it gives you more room for those all important souvenirs on your return trip.

On this last point, this is when I'll suck it up and pay an additional charge for an overweight bag. I like to bring home souvenirs and gifts from my travels, and I don't want a weight consideration to keep me from doing that. I simply include the extra amount into my overall travel budget and, if I have to pay it, so be it. 

Something I've started using is something I should've been using long before now: a check list. I typed out a simple Google Doc which I can print out and check off items as I pack. It sounds simple enough and, well, it actually is. Which is exactly why you should do it. It makes no sense to risk forgetting something when ensuring you have it is so easy.

My check list is divided into two sections: what I'm packing in my suitcase and what I'm packing in my carry-on. Include everything. Bringing your laptop? Don't forget to list the power cord, as well; stuff like that. Dumb, I know, but more than once I've found myself running out to a store after arriving at my destination to find something I'd forgotten at home.

Valuables excepted, anything that you don't need until you reach your destination should go in your checked suitcase whenever possible. Airlines are getting more and more strict on what they will and won't allow as a carry-on, and even rolling "spinner" bags, which are designed for the overhead compartments, are routinely gate-checked due to space considerations.

Packing doesn't have to be difficult, and it sure doesn't need to be stressful. Approach it logically and you'll successfully avoid one of the primary causes of traveler angst...









No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...