Thursday, April 18, 2019

Italy - Day 3: Pescara

As much as I wish it wasn't the case, you can't have everything.

While I had made up an itinerary for my trip, the fact that the whole purpose of this trip was photography meant that whatever plans I'd made would be impacted by the weather. This became quite evident on Friday, my second full day in Italy.

Since it was raining in Rome, Amalfi and Florence, I decided to head to Pescara, on the Adriatic Sea. Why? I dunno'. Why not? I've sailed on many of the globes seas and oceans, but I've never been to the Adriatic. Believe it or not, that was my sole motivation for going.


 Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot there to photograph. The first thing I did was get some lunch. Now, while visiting someplace off the beaten path like Pescara can be nice, but make no mistake, it can be difficult. It's difficult primarily because you're far less likely to find someone who speaks English.

Some things transcend language, though, as this was brought to my table as soon as I sat down:



That's an anchovy on the cracker in the back, salmon on the front cracker. I'd never eaten an anchovy before...

When you're ordering lunch and dealing with a language barrier, dining can be an outright adventure. I don't know that I would normally order something like this but, hey, what the Hell...


This was one damn tasty lunch...
 
And it's served to the table in the pan it was prepared in...

All told, with the prosecco served with the appetizer, the main course, a Coke and an espresso, was €16.50. Not a bad deal for a ridiculously fresh meal.

My whole purpose for making this drive, though, was simply to go to the Adriatic Sea. I got directions and went on my way. It was windy and pretty chilly, but the beach was, well, a beach:







I did think this lifeguard stand was pretty cool, though:





On a less windy day, I suspect the beach would've had far more people on it. But the wind, and the temperature, I'm sure, kept people away.

I decided to head back to Rome and get started on editing photos (it's never ending). I got into the Puegeot, fired it up, and headed west. It was a relatively quick day, especially when compared to some others I had during the trip, but it was good and, while it wasn't "photo heavy", it was "photo satisfying"...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...