Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Newfoundland - Day 3

I started my third and final day in Newfoundland early. Stupid early. I had a 6:00am flight out to Corner Brook, which is on the west coast of Newfoundland. Had I elected to drive it, the trip would've taken about ten hours. The flight was about 50 minutes.

Yeah, good roads up here.

So this is what I was staring at around five o'clock this morning: St. John's International Airport:



St. John's International - Just this side of a "ghost town" at five in the morning.


The flight to Deer Lake, which is about thirty miles north of Corner Brook, was uneventful. I find that "uneventful" is a plus when discussing the attributes of air travel. And, before you start thinking that I'm jet-setting throughout Atlantic Canada, consider what my transportation was. I give you the Beechcraft 1900D:



Beechcraft 1900D

It was not, to say the least, anything like the last trip I took. I fly a lot, and I've never been on a plane which had seats that didn't recline, and no overhead bins. And heat? Oh, don't tease me. Then again, I never had the pleasure of enjoying the luxurious stylings of the Beechcraft 1900D. It was bumpy and noisy and everything else bad you would expect from a prop-job puddle jumper.

But the upside is that it got us to Deer Lake:



Deer Lake Regional Airport. It's an event when a jet lands here.

Given that the flight was so short, and left St. John's at the ridiculously unholy hour of six in the morning, I was in Corner Brook long before my client was, in all probability, even awake. I grabbed my rental car and decided to drive around a little and check things out.



Only one way to go...

The west coast of Newfoundland, if my abbreviated experience with it is any indication, is very different than the east coast. The east coast is a lot more rugged, more rocks, and nowehere near as many trees. The west coast was far more moutainous, and was covered in forest.


Corner Brook, Newfoundland

Now, driving around, I try to take in as much as possible. You never know what you're going to see around the next bend or over the next hill. Or even in the next car:



I spent the day in Corner Brook, and had lunch with my client and met with him and his manager. It seemed like the day flew by and, before I knew it, it was time to drive back to Deer Lake to catch my flight back to St. John's.

In the same plane.

After some dinner and some packing, I got into some photo editing. Man, I take a lot of pictures.

I have a flight to Toronto in the morning (on an actual jet this time), and will spend the rest of this week doing some business in the "Queen City". Newfoundland has been an absolute blast, but it's time to head west from the coast.

This was a good time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...