Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Sturgis Black Hills Motorcycle Rally - The Arrival

I feel somewhat remiss. After all, it's been almost a month since I returned from Sturgis, and this is the first I'm getting around to posting about it. That's okay, though. That means I've been busy and, as I like to say, "Busy pays the bills".

Add to that the fact that I had another trip to Colorado planned for the latter half of August, and I simply decided to wait for the dust to settle before sitting down at the computer.

As a reminder, this is what we were driving. It's a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter with which we were dragging an 18' trailer with a motorcycle in it:

 


Now, our drive to Sturgis was a bit of a chore. We had constant issues with the bike mount in the trailer, and those issues would turn 15 minute gas and bathroom breaks into hour long trailer repair breaks. The time in between, though, was rather restful!

 


When we did get to have just a gas and bathroom break, we got to see some pretty cool rigs on their way to Sturgis. This red and gray trailer was being pulled by a matching red and gray motor home of equal length:

 


 

If I were to guesstimate, I'd say that easily half the people we encountered on the road and in gas stations and rest areas were on their way to the rally. They were everywhere:

 




 

So, suffice it to say we eventually got to Sturgis (well, Rapid City, to be exact) on Thursday, August 4 in the afternoon and started to set up our site:

 


 

By the time we'd gotten all set up and had something to eat, we decided it was really too late to go try to do anything, so we opted to have a few cocktails at the campsite and get started with our week in the morning...


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...