Thursday, July 14, 2022

Sturgis, Baby!

Well, after having not posted anything for quite a while, the traveling bug has bitten down once again, this time putting me on the road the South Dakota and the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

 


I was actually in the process of planning a trip to Colorado Springs to photograph the Garden of the Gods. It's been a kind of bucket list shoot for me, and I'm excited to finally get the chance to head out there. I got a really good price on a flight, so the end of August was looking like a perfect time to schedule my next photo excursion.
 

And then my buddy Greg bought a camper: 

 

Mercedes Benz Sprinter Camper

So, after a few beers and "what if" scenarios, we're leaving for Sturgis on August 2nd, and we're planning to return to St. Augustine no later than August 14.

Now, I don't ride, but Greg does, and we'll be dragging a trailer with his bike in it. He'll ride his bike whjle we're there and, due to its relatively compact size, I'll drive the camper to get around. Greg assures me that there will be parking areas in Sturgis where I can park the camper, which will be good. That way we can have the camper more local for those times when we want to take a load off for a while. It'll also be good in that I won't have to carry all of my photo gear with me all day long.

While I expect Sturgis to be a target rich environment, photo-wise, there will also be those stops along the way where I'm sure I'll be breaking out a camera.

I'll have my Canon 5D MKIV and 6D, my Fuji X100F, my tripod, my iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone tripod (with remote!), assorted lenses (including the new Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC (vibration control) and a comfy camp chair.

I'll be banging out a packing list, and I'll confer with my brother, who rode to Sturgis on his Street Glide back in 2014. I'll have a bit more room to pack things, but it'll be good to get his input for those "must have" items.

So, there it is! If you know me, you know I love an impromptu road trip and, given the scope of this one, I think a two week lead time qualifies as "impromptu"!







No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...