Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Three Weeks Out...

I find myself at that point in my Italy preparations when there's not much for me to do right now.

I'm the type of person who counts down to a trip like this by using the number of obligations I have between now and the time I leave. I've got four photo shoots (potentially five). I've got a party to throw for my brother's birthday. I have a concert to go to. And, as much as I want to do all of those things, part of me would leave for Rome tomorrow if I could.

So, as there's nothing much to do right now, naturally this is that time when things can get dangerous.

The downside of going to Italy by myself is that I won't have anyone to take photos of me in front of Trevi Fountain or in St. Peter's Square. And, having seen "National Lampoon's European Vacation", I know better than to ask a local to do it for me:






What I've learned, relatively recently, is that online shopping is simply the best way to go nowadays, especially when you're shopping for things you may not ordinarily feel inclined to buy.

Like this thing:






Amazon Prime, you see, is a wondrous thing, I've found. That means that I'm going to have this in my hot little hands this Thursday. But it's not just a selfie-stick. It also works as a tripod and comes with a remote. This way, photos may actually look like they were taken by some local who otherwise may have run off with my gear.






And, hey, it's a professional selfie-stick, so there ya' go.

I wish it collapsed a bit smaller than it does (it compacts to only 19"), but I'll pack it in my suitcase for my flights and strap it to the outside of my camera bag when I want to take it with me.

I can't wait to see what silly nonsense I end up buying tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...