Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Cautionary Tale...

I love abandoned buildings. From a photography perspective, a good abandoned building can offer up some rather unique photo ops, as evidenced by the photos from the post-apocalyptic water park. You just don't find stuff like that just anywhere.
 
One thing about the desert, especially the Mojave, is that a lot of people used to live here. Surely, some still do, but most definitely not in the numbers they did 50 or 60 years ago.
 
As we left the water park, we came upon a lone abandoned building. It was really trashed, and was just begging to be photographed:
 
An old abandoned building; probably a business of some sort, along the service road on the southbound I-15...
 
The long, barren service road along the southbound I-15...

Sometimes I find myself trying to imagine what life might have been like here "back in the day". What was it like to live here before the drywall rotted away and the roof collapsed? Behind the building show above was something that actually looked like some sort of boat dock, although I'm sure it's been quite some time since these timbers have seen water:

Maybe a boat dock? Maybe, maybe not...

Now, I said this is a cautionary tale, so let me get there.
 
The stops we made at this building and the water park weren't planned before we left San Diego. During our drive out to Las Vegas, we'd decided to make these stops on our way back to San Diego. So, for that reason, we may not have been perfectly outfitted for these stops, and that's what I'd like to touch on real briefly.
 
During the stop at the water park, it was hot; probably mid-90's or so, and a little humid. Naturally, that equates to sweating and the need to hydrate. I'd left my bottle of water in the car. I really wish I hadn't. Of course, getting back to the car would've been easy enough, but do yourself a favor and carry your water with you.
 
The other aspect I'd like to touch on is apparel, specifically footwear. Now, had I known we were going to make these stops, I wouldn't have been wearing a pair of Nikes. I would've been wearing my Vasque boots for both their support and their protection. The support is because it's easy enough to twist an ankle.
 
Protection? Well, have a look:
 
Danger lurks. And it will mock you...
 
I made it to the building before Jessy and Dom, so I was quick to point out to them what I'd seen: A lot of wood with a lot of nails sticking out all over Hell and creation. My admonition to "Watch where you step and where you lean" was heeded, as they both ended up enjoying the stop without incident.
 
I, on the other hand, stepped down on the piece of wood pictured above not two minutes after I told them to be careful. And, wouldn't you know it, my heel came right down on that nail sticking straight up.
 
It took me about a nanosecond to determine that I really wished I'd been wearing those Vasque boots, as the nail easily passed through the sole of my shoe. I was fortunate, though. I most certainly felt the point of the nail on my foot, but it didn't break the skin. That really would've capped off the weekend as we would've gotten to play the "tetanus shot game".
 
So, when you go out exploring, just remember that a small amount of preparation can save you a lot of heartache. I was lucky.
 
But I easily could've been unlucky, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...