Saturday, February 4, 2012

Daytona...

Of course, the primary reason for this trip was to go to Daytona International Speedway for the 50th Anniversary of the Rolex 24. My brother Greg and I came here last year for this race, and I wrote about it here. It was such a good time that I guess it shouldn't surprise either of us that we've decided to make this an annual thing.



Only Greg and I went last year, but this year we'd also be going with my brother's girlfriend Renie, and our sort-of-cousin Gloria. I say "sort-of-cousin" because, while not a blood relative, "cousin" is, I think, the most apt description. We've known each other since we were little kids, but I hadn't seen Gloria since, probably, 1973. Accordingly, when it looked like she might not make the drive over from Sarasota, I decided to guilt-trip her into showing up.

It worked.

Gloria at Daytona International...

Greg, Renie and I piled into the Challenger at about 7:45am, and drove over to Gloria's brother's (who I don't remember at all), who also lives in St. Augustine. Somehow, both Renie and Gloria were able to sit somewhat comfortably in the back seat, so we turned south and hit the highway.

The drive wasn't bad but, unfortunately, when we got to the gate we learned that the infield parking was sold out. Like, it sold out three weeks ago. So, we ended up parking outside the track. We were able to take a shuttle into the infield, though, and we were close to a tunnel, so it wasn't really bad at all.

One of the things we did last year was buy the garage pass. It's cool to watch the mechanics rip these cars apart and put them back together again. Aside from the souvenir shop to pick up credential holders, the garage area would be our first stop once inside the infield.

The garage area as seen from the viewing deck...

A rack of tires, with the tire's position on the car noted on each one...

Every car must pass inspection before being allowed to race...

The garage area...
The Rolex 24 attracts drivers from all disciplines: NASCAR, Indy Car, Formula 1, etc. But it also attracts celebrities, as well. One of those is actor Patrick Dempsey. He was here last year, as well. If I remember correctly, he actually did okay. He's got his own team now so, these days, I think he's actually putting more of a focus on racing than on acting.

Team owner/driver/actor Patrick Dempsey in the garage area...
After walking around the infield grounds for a while, we decided that it would probably be a good idea to have lunch before the start of the race. We took the shuttle back outside the track, and made our way to the car.

And food.

And beverages.


Greg, Gloria and me at Daytona. I don't recall Gloria being so tall...

Gloria and Greg mix up some yummy lunchtime cocktails...


Greg sets up the lunch counter. Yeay, Greg...

After lunch, it was time to head back into the infield for the race. We packed things up, headed through the tunnel, and were on our way...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...