Friday, October 21, 2011

New England...

Mike Lille and I parted ways after our flight from St. John's, Newfoundland landed in Newark, New Jersey. We'd had a good week, and he was on his way home to San Diego while I was headed to Boston, Massachusetts to meet up with Monte Montefusco, another co-worker and, in the interest of full disclosure, my new boss. Monte handled the northeast before I was selected to take it, so it was good to head out and meet some key clients.

If you've ever driven through the Boston area, you know they love their tunnels. Everyone seems to know about the "Big Dig" debacle, but the truth is that there are plenty of tunnels strewn around the city:

A Boston tunnel...

I picked up Monte at his hotel on Monday morning. He'd flown in from Europe the day before, and I was surprised he stayed awake as long as he did each day. We made a whirlwind trip through the Boston area and then into New Hampshire. Driving up here at this time of year is great, especially if you want to see the fall colors:

The drive through New Hampshire...

Our trip culminated with a stop in a little town which can only be described as Rockwellian. Littleton, New Hampshire is exactly what you would expect Small Town USA to look like. It's a town of just under 6,000 people about two and a half hours north of Boston. It's got one main street which is lined with businesses of every ilk:

Downtown Littleton, New Hampshire...

One of the more impressive of those businesses is Chutters. Chutters claims to have the longest candy counter in the world, and it's not hard to believe that:

The candy counter at Chutters in Littleton, New Hampshire...

Chutters is also known for its' selection of fudge. There were no less than a dozen varieties available when they were there and, well, I just couldn't help myself.

Some of the fudge available at Chutters...

Littleton is a photographer's wet dream. There are old, historic buildings everywhere. The  Ammonoosuc River runs through it. It has a covered bridge. I only had the Canon G12 with me as we walked through town but, the next time I'm here, and have more time, the Canon 5D is gonna' get the call.

The Ammonoosuc River in Littleton...

Thayer's Inn, as seen from the covered bridge over the Ammonoosuc River...

Walking along Main Street, there's no shortage of historic buildings to shoot. One of the most imposing, though, is the Littleton Post Office and Court House. It almost looks out of place:

The Littleton Post Office and Court House...

We had dinner with some of our better clients who are in Littleton, and then decided that we would drive back to Boston that night. We'd both be flying out the next day. Once again, I'd be parting ways with my colleague, as Monte was headed for some down time on Long Island, and I was headed home to San Diego.

The time I had to shoot in and around Littleton was far too short. I could've spent, quite literally, days exploring the town and the surrounding areas.

That's gonna' have to wait, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...