Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Tasty Tradition...

When I've come to Vancouver in the past, I'd normally stay in a hotel out in Richmond which, while not far from downtown Vancouver, is a very different part of town. There's nothing there like a closed-off Granville Street, and the nightlife; be that pubs or restaurants, is far more limited. I would usually drive into Vancouver, do what I had to do, and then I'd drive back out to Richmond. Yes, excitement to the extreme.

On this trip, however, I'm staying much closer to downtown. The location is right on a main drag, and restaurants are plentiful. Actually, the photo ops are pretty plentiful, as well. And, if there's one thing I'm always up for, it's a good photo op.

So, after getting my actual work done yesterday, I decided to go down to the waterfront and see what I could find. Well, I found plenty. The Vancouver waterfront is pretty vibrant, and walkers, joggers and bicyclists are plentiful. Aside from that, though, the view of downtown was pretty stunning. Between where I was standing and downtown were ever shape and size of watercraft imaginable:

The "Aquabus" ferries riders all over the harbor...
Anchored boats dot the harbor near downtown...
Downtown Vancouver...

I only have my 24-70mm lens with me, so I was somewhat limited in what I could shoot. I decided to wrap it up down at the waterfront and make my way back to the car. Along the way, though, I was surprised to see Canadian television at work. I don't know if it was a local show or a national show, but "Family Cook-Off" was being filled in Boot Leg Square:

"Family Cook-Off" filming near downtown Vancouver. The woman walking, in the black pants, was the host...

When I come to Vancouver, my favorite place to go is a little fishing village called Steveston. Steveston lies about a half hour from downtown Vancouver, and is absolutely worth the drive. In the past when I've been here, it's usually been rainy or cold or, on a special day, both. Yesterday, however, was glorious. The weather was, quite frankly, the best I've ever encountered in Vancouver, so I made a point of getting out to Steveston, which was founded in 1889, to take some pictures.


The Gulf of Georgia Cannery, built in 1894. At one time, it was the largest building of its
kind and was the leading producer of canned salmon in British Columbia... 
A fishing boat returns to port in Steveston, BC...
Now, like I said, Steveston is a fishing village. These people live and breathe by the bounty of the sea. And, when that bounty is plentiful, the fisherman return to the docks and open shop, right there on the docks. They'll tie up their boat, put up tarps to offer shade (and to keep their catch out of the sun), and sell their catch, right on the docks:

Baskets of shrimp for sale in Steveston...

A fisherman selling his catch to a couple on the dock. Total take for the sale? $145.00...
Now, when I come to Steveston, I always make it a point to visit the Buck & Ear, a bar and grill on 3rd Avenue: 
The Buck & Ear Bar and Grille...
I don't know how I first ended up finding the Buck & Ear. I think I was probably hungry and it was simply the closest place to eat. Whatever the reason I found it, I'm glad I did. It's a very cool, very old pub and restaurant, and they serve up some ridiculous fish & chips. So, as it's tradition that I visit every time I'm in town, so is it tradition that I get the fish & chips.

The restaurant area in the Buck & Ear...

The bar area in the Buck & Ear Bar and Grill...
The thing about the food here is that they make sure that you're not going to leave hungry. Two pieces of halibut, fries, cole slaw; maybe some dessert. Yeah, there's food o'plenty here, regardless of what you order. Top it off with a Granville Island Pale Ale, and all seems right with the world.

I decided to call it a day, as it was starting to get a little bit on the late side, and I had an early call this morning. I left Steveston, both my appetite and my photography jones completely sated. I made my way back to my hotel, brewed a cup of coffee, and sat out on the balcony taking in the amazing, and uncommon, weather here in Vancouver...

Downtown Vancouver, right after sunset...


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...