Sunday, November 7, 2010

T-Minus Seven...

Exactly one week from right now, I'll be in St. John's, Newfoundland. I'll start my November 14 in San Diego, and then spend about an hour in Salina, Kansas for refueling and leg-stretching before reaching the frigid destination of the day.

I shouldn't complain, really. I looked at the 10-day forecast for St. John's, and it didn't look bad. Mind you, "good" would've been preferable, but I think I'll be able to handle the expected sunshine with the high-30's predicted temperatures. I've been colder. I didn't like it, but it wasn't exactly cryogenic, either. It was tolerable. I can do it again.

I'll spend this week getting things ready. Because the trip is on a business jet, luggage size is a consideration. For a week-long trip, I'll normally pack a veritable wardrobe. I'll bring four, maybe five pairs of jeans, plenty of shirts, not to mention more socks, underwear and t-shirts than I'll actually ever wear in five or six days. But this trip will challenge my packing skills, and I need to step up. If nothing else, I can always avail myself of the hotel laundry.

Also a consideration this week is getting the camera gear together. I'd love to take everything I have, but that could be overkill. I'll bring the Canon 40D, the Sigma 17-70mm, and the Sigma 50-500mm. That's right, I said it. Read it. 500 millimeters of ridiculously tack-sharp reach-out-and-touch-somebody feel-good focal length. Will I get to use it? Maybe, maybe not. But, as any photographer will tell you, it's better to bring it and not need it than need it and not have it. I'll also have the new Canon G12 which I plan to put through its' paces.

My trip will be eight days, and will return me to San Diego on Monday, November 22. Between now and my departure, though, I need to figure out how to bring plenty without bringing too much.

I'm open to suggestions...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...