Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tourist Town? Nahhh...


Hopping off of I-95 onto Florida Route 207 to go to my brothers, I’ve always noticed a sign that gives the distances to the towns of Hastings and Palatka. On the 207, I’d actually never made it much further than the turn off to go into my mom’s retirement community, so I was interested in seeing what lay beyond.
 
It didn’t take much convincing, and we decided to head out to Palatka, and a restaurant called “Corky Bell’s” for a late lunch. After lunch, we decided to drive around a bit and check out some of the “small town” feel of Palatka:
 
 
A warning sign at Corky Bell's and, yes, they're deadly serious...

The view from the riverside bar at Corky Bell's...

The view from the riverside bar at Corky Bell's...

The Putnam County Courthouse in the thriving metropolis of Palatka, Florida...

An abandoned house along the road just outside of Palatka...

Being a "watch guy", the sign for this jewelry store, in the merchant section of Palatka, caught my eye...

The Bronson Mulholland House in Palatka, Florida...

Welcome to Palatka...

I bet they'd look super on a '73 Eldorado convertible...

The road out of Palatka...
It was actually a lot of fun to explore Palatka. It's another one of those places that most people won't go, simply because they don't know it's there...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...