Monday, April 8, 2019

Looking Back... And Forward...

Almost six years ago, I left Portland, Oregon on what can only be described as a cross country trip of epic proportions. I spent 25 days on the road with nothing but my camera, and I covered some 5,800 miles doing it. I saw things and did things which, if I'm to be honest with myself, I will probably never see or do again.

And I'm okay with that.

You see, there's a lot out there, and I'm a big proponent of going out and finding it. But, inasmuch as that cross country drive reminded me of what we have right here within our own borders, I'm still acutely aware that there's a great big world out there, with a lot of great big open roads waiting to be traveled.

This whole mindset was reinforced last year when we went to Ireland. It was during that trip that I started to get that "travelin' jones". It was an amazing time, those seven days, and I can only surmise that Ireland has no monopoly on great things. Hence my upcoming travel plans.

Why Italy? Well, I think a better question is "Why not Italy?" From a photographer's perspective, it would be difficult to come up with a more target-rich location. From Vatican City to the Forum to the Panthenon, photo opportunities abound just in Rome. When we add the trips I'll make to Pompei, Florence and points in between, it almost boggles the mind.

But Italy is just the beginning. While I would like to make a second trip to Italy to visit Venice and points north, I don't want to do so at the expense of other locales. As it looks right now, I'll be traveling to Scotland with my daughter in May. She's a photographer and vlogger, so she already knows what she's in for. We hang out well together.

After that? Well, I'd have to refer to the bucket list. Places like Moscow, Russia to photograph Red Square, maybe? The northern lights in Longyearbyen, Norway would be a dream come true. Lisbon, Portugal would be absolutely amazing. There are always places to go and things to see. Interspersed with travel outside our borders will be some travel here at home, as well. I'm going to New York for two weeks in June, and I'm also looking at visiting an old friend and his family in Georgia; maybe in the fall.

I'm not entirely sure when it happened, but I decided that I wanted to create experiences for myself. I don't want to spend my life sitting at my desk and counting my nickels, making sure I have enough when the rent comes due (I always do, by the way!). I don't want to be lying on my deathbed regretting the fact that I'd done everything in my power to do exactly what others expected me to do. When I announced I was going on this trip to Italy, and that I was going alone, more than a few eyebrows were raised. I kinda' liked that.

This is how I see it: Don't wait. You're never going to be as young as you are right now, and traveling doesn't get any easier the older you get. Make the commitment to treat yourself well. Decide to give yourself the experiences you so richly deserve before you get too old to truly enjoy the ride.

And don't forget to take pictures. Take a lot of pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...