Saturday, June 15, 2013

Chattanooga...

Trying to keep up with this blog has proven to be a bit trying. I shoot all the time, and then when I get to wherever it is I'm going, I have to edit photos so I have something to post other than words. Of course, since I spend all that time editing photos, I never write anything.
 
It's an ugly, vicious cycle, I tell ya'.
 
I'm getting caught up, though, so that means it's time to talk about Chattanooga, Tennessee.
 
In another life, I was a member of ASMP, which is the American Society of Media Photographers. During the time I was a member, I met another San Diego based photographer named Holt Webb. Holt and I became fast friends, and he's a photographer who I admire a great deal.
 
Without going into all the gory details, Holt ended up settling in Chattanooga, Tennessee. So, naturally, I arranged my travel itinerary to allow me to visit for a few days.
 
My first full day there, Holt decided to take me to a place called Rock City. While the admission might have seemed a tad steep at first, it really was very, very cool. The park offers some extraordinary views of the area, but is also pretty cool in its own regard:
 
The waterfall at Lover's Leap in Rock City...

My buddy Holt Webb...

One Helluva' drop...

The "Stone Face" at Rock City...

Standing between two very high stone walls in Rock City...

Looking out over the Tennessee River...
It's a long, long drop... Straight down...

The Thursday I spent in Chattanooga was Holt's birthday, so I figured I'd treat him to dinner. We decided to walk across the river to this pub he knows and, of course, I took my camera:

One of the many bridges in Chattanooga, Tennessee...

Another of the many bridges in Chattanooga...

Hey, they have a lot of bridges...

Probably my favorite shot from my Chattanooga visit...

A fountain at the foot of the "walking bridge", which is closed to vehicular traffic...

High end condominiums overlook the annual Riverbend Festival...

Looking into the crowd from backstage at Riverbend...

This bridge is for pedestrians only, and it offers some great views...

A view of part of the Riverbend Festival in Chattanooga...

Part of the Hunter Museum...

"The Man"...

Doesn't every police department have these?

Chattanooga's finest...

I don't believe a pink iPhone case is considered "standard issue"...

Holt gets Riverbend viewing advice from local authorities...
 
I guess it's naive to think I could get through a visit with a photographer without having a portrait shot of me.
I think I'm going to use this one for the book...

I did have some "solo time", as Holt had to work while I was there, so I took the opportunity to get my oil changed, do some shopping and do some shooting:

This was one sweet Harley...

The level of vigilance is simply staggering...

As bagpipe players go, he wasn't bad...

This guy was preachin', and he was mad...

If you find yourself in downtown Chattanooga, allow me to recommend the Hair Of The Dog Pub...

And any installment talking about Chattanooga and Holt Webb would be incomplete without a mention of Holt's faithful sidekick, Reggie:

Reggie surveys his domain...

Reggie in "stealth mode". His leash betrays him...

Reggie in front of his apartment building...

Unfortunately, visits like this always have to come to an end. It's always great to see Holt and, now that we're both on the east coast (more or less), hopefully we can visit more often...

You can check out some of  Holt Webb's incredible photographic work here: Holt Webb.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...