Sunday, July 31, 2011

New Rig, New Band...

A week ago yesterday, I broke down and made the jump to "full frame" with my photo gear. I picked up a "pre-pampered" (my term; feel free to use it) Canon 5D. I've been wanting to get a full frame body for a while, and the required aspects of availability, willingness, and funding all fell into place in one great big karmic cacophony of "do it".

So I did:


The new rig (with the Canon 85mm f/1.8)...

It's roughly the same size as my Canon 40D and my 20D (which has been, well, let's say "adopted" by my daughter), so it feels good and solid and substantial. The difference, of course, is the size of the sensor. I won't bore you with the techie stuff, but will just say that the lenses act like they should, as opposed to having an increased sense of "zoom". I guess, somehow, I'm hoping for some magical bolt of inspiration to hit me, I guess.

I've taken a few "test shots" with it since I got it, but I haven't really had the opportunity to really cut loose with it. I'm hoping that changes, starting tonight. I'll be in Saratoga Springs, New York, shooting my good friends Barenaked Ladies and, if I'm lucky, Goo Goo Dolls. I'm anxious to see how the 5D performs at higher ISO settings and varying lighting conditions.

Tomorrow, I'll make a run up to Montreal for the week. I'm not sure how much shooting I'll do with it in Montreal because, well, I've probably photographed Montreal more than any other city in Canada. I probably won't be able to resist the temptation, though. A lot of what I've shot with the 40D and the G12 are shots I think I might like to have taken with the full-frame 5D, so I'd say there's a better than average chance of the 5D finding its' way into the Vieux Port at some point.

But, before that, it's off to a show tonight to see how it handles a concert situation. I'll certainly post some examples...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...