Sunday, April 11, 2021

After leaving Wooster, I found my way back to I-90 and headed west. My goal for the day was Madison, Wisconsin. I chose it for no other reason than I was going to need somewhere to stop for an overnight stay, and Madison looked as good as any. I didn't sleep real well, though, and that would end up affecting my schedule.

I left Madison and, before long, I decided that Saturday's drive wouldn't take me to Sturgis, as I originally planned. Within the first couple of hours I'd pulled over twice for power naps. Simple math will tell you that you can't make a 12 hour drive in 12 hours if you're pulling over every three hours for a nap. I'd need to adjust.

I decided I would drive to Mitchell, South Dakota and spend the night.

Before getting there, though, I had to make the drive. There was nothing earth-shattering, but I managed to snap a few photos during the trip:

Welcome to Minnesota...

When I stopped for gas, I went into the mini-mart to get a bottle of water. As I was walking out, I was met with this:


No... Just no...

A very cool, old cemetery somewhere in Minnesota...


Make no mistake, the drive from Madison west is... what's the word I'm looking for... oh, yes, suicidally boring. The road is flat and straight and never-ending. You could watch your dog run away for days up here. But, once you get into South Dakota, the real fun starts:
Welcome to South Dakota. You'd be looking for the pedal on the right...

I blew past a South Dakota highway patrol doing about 87mph and the dude didn't even blink. Then again, he and I were the only two cars for as far as the eye could see, so I suppose he just didn't want to be bothered.

Once I got to Mitchell, South Dakota I had to take the opportunity to head over to "The World's Only Corn Palace":


The world's only corn palace. As if anyone ever dreamed of building a second...

Sadly, the Corn Palace closed at 5:00pm on Saturday, and I didn't happen by until almost 8:00pm. Even still, the majesty of such a place cannot possibly overstated. I mean, c'mon... it's corn.

So, Sunday will see me, once again, headed west. My plan is to stay in Buffalo, Wyoming tonight and tomorrow night and, while I'm there, visit Mt. Rushmore and Sturgis tomorrow.

But, as they say, "best laid plans"...



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...