Monday, March 25, 2019

Two Weeks Out...

Two weeks from tomorrow, I'll be boarding a plane to Rome.

I'm excited, of course. I've never done this kind of trip by myself. Last year, we did a family trip to Ireland. Six years ago I embarked on an epic cross-country drive which took me 25 days and covered over 5,800 miles, en route to a job in Pennsylvania.

But this is the first time I'll be doing a solo photo excursion with no end game; not to mention a solo photo excursion overseas. I've got a finite amount of time to see and photograph as much of Italy as I can.

Eight days.

I fly out of Jacksonville the night of April 9th. I'll arrive in Rome the morning of April 10th. I'll be renting a car, but will likely leave that at the hotel while I explore Rome. If I can manage some sleep on the flight from Charlotte to Rome I'll venture out a bit the day I arrive, sans camera (or maybe we the G7X MKII), and try to get the lay of the land for my next two days.

After the first full two days, I'll head south to the Amalfi Coast and Pompei. I may or may not spend the night on the Amalfi Coast. I really want to shoot there at night, and it might be just a bit too far to do that and drive the (from what I'm told) somewhat treacherous Italian roads at night. One of the remaining days will be spent over on the Adriatic, and I'm also hoping to get up to Florence. Hey, I've got over 350gb of memory just itching to be abused. If I can cover Rome, Florence and the Amalfi Coast during this trip I'll chalk it up as a huge photographic win. 

I'm shooting a buddy's band on April 4th, and then I think I'll pack up the gear and start making meaningful preps to head east.

Way east...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...