Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Well, now that we're a month into the new year, I figure it's probably not a horrible time to work on some new entries.

The first big happening of the year was the same first big happening of the year that happens every year: NAMM.

For those of you who are unaware, NAMM stands for National Association of Music Merchants. I've been going to this show since the early 90's, but have only been working it for the last ten years, first as a retailer and then, for the last eight years as a Rep for Taylor Guitars.

One of the things I really miss about my early days at NAMM is the ability to "walk the floor". Don't get me wrong, we still have the opportunity to do that, but long gone are the days when I could do it from ten in the morning until the show closed at 6:00pm. Now, over the course of the four day show, I might be able to swing two hours or so for checking out what other manufacturers are offering.

For me, the primary day for me to walk around the show floor is Sunday. Rarely do I have scheduled appointments on that day and, if I do, it's only one or two. So, off to check out the show I went:

The first thing you take notice of when walking the floor at NAMM is the diversity of the people there. There's simply no way to pigeon-hole the people who go to NAMM into one category. Certainly, some stretch the definition of the phrase "freak show", while others would be indistinguishable from, say, a banker or a lawyer. For every artfully tattooed body walking through NAMM, there's a rather non-descript "suit" walking through, as well.

Of course, I've little interest in taking photos of bankers and lawyers, so I'll concentrate on those a tad closer to the other end of the crazy spectrum. I won't describe these. Just look and enjoy:












Honestly, sometimes you have to wonder what makes some people do some of the things they do. In all honesty, I would say the word "bizarre" about covers those pictured above.

But walking the floor also means getting to see old friends, too. Spend any amount of time in this industry, and it doesn't take long to have friends which span different aspects of the business, from performers to other Reps.

Me and Aimish Wallace of Diamond Pedals in Halifax, Nova Scotia, who I've known since his days as a buyer for the now defunct Musicstop in the Maritimes of Canada...
 
Me and John D'Addario of D'Addario. I've known John since my Guitar Trader days...

I've known Diane Ponzio since my days at Guitar Trader. A monster guitar player, she's with
Martin Guitars, and is just a blast to talk to...


Of course, the big reason to walk the floor at NAMM is the gear. Every year, manufacturers break out their finest to entice buyers to part with their stocking dollars. I love seeing the new-fangled contraptions, as well as the old "tried and true":

The Eden display on the main floor...
 
Marshall Bluesbreaker, with an aesthetic design by Zakk Wylde. These amps are being donated for charity...


Ever see a $40,000.00 Fender Strat?

Black light strings. Dig it...
 
New Fender Tweed amplifiers...


Cool Vox amps, with a cool Vox guitar...
Orange always has their wall of amplifiers...
 
An ESP creation. They do something crazy every year...
 
Just the types of features you want on an electric guitar...

Hard to go wrong with a wall full of Custom Shop Telecasters...

Of course, and at the risk of sounding partial, I'll go ahead and say that the place to be in the Taylor Guitars exhibit. Taylor has garnered a reputation for being a must-see. In the eyes of many, it's also the issue of the Taylor concert stage. In the past, such acts as Taylor Swift, Ted Nugent, Barenaked Ladies, Night Ranger and Goo Goo Dolls have performed on the Taylor stage. It's always a crowded affair when someone takes the stage.

Of course, the guitars are pretty cool, too:

The Taylor Guitars exhibit at NAMM...

The Taylor Guitars exhibit at NAMM...

A NAMM attendee enjoy the sound of a Taylor guitar...


Russ "Koaguitarman" Lewark test drives a few Taylors...
As I mentioned, aside from the lure of the guitars is the lure of the performances. This past January, acts such as Sixwire (from the show "The Next Great American Band"), Gary Hoey, Lita Ford and Johnny Rzeznik took to the Taylor stage:

Gary Hoey...

Johnny Rzeznik...

Sixwire...

Lita Ford...

After four days of NAMM, just about everyone I've ever known who's actually spent four days at NAMM is ready to go home. I honestly have to say, I get it. I'm always ready to go home after a show. But, as much as we look forward to going home, we love gearing up for the next show...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...