Monday, April 25, 2011

The Great White North... Again...

I’m not even prepared for this.

It’s late April. When I pack for a trip, I should be able to pack some jeans, some nice shirts, and maybe a light jacket in case it gets cool in the evenings. After all, it’s Spring, amirite?

Well, such is not the case.

I head to Alberta the day after tomorrow. A week ago, it was 20 degrees in Alberta.

In April.

Now, I guess this shouldn’t really surprise me, as the last time I went there in April I saw dog sleds, with actual dogs on them, mushing (I guess that’s what it’s called) through the snow. But it wasn’t cold. I don’t like the cold. This is no great secret. But for some unknown reason, I’ve once again opted to travel, if not in a winter month, to a place that I know will be cold.

I should re-evaluate this whole “let’s go truckin’ around in the snow” plan at some point.

I’m flying into Calgary where, admittedly, I always have fun. I’ll be visiting Canmore, Red Deer, Edmonton, and Medicine Hat (right?) during this trip, so there won’t be a lack of photo ops. I’ve never been to Medicine Hat before, so I’m kinda’ looking forward to that. Of course, the Canadian Rockies are one of my favorite places on the planet, so I’m definitely looking forward to that during my trip to Canmore.

Now, during my last trip, I suffered a loss; a tragic loss which I didn’t share, and one from which I thought I might not recover. I lost someone who guided me; always steering me in the right direction. If I got lost and far afield, she would help me find my way. She’s been my companion during my travels for longer than I care to remember, and now she’s gone.

Of course, I’m speaking of my beloved “Lola”, my Magellan GPS.

During my trip to Chatham in March, she started acting up. She would power up and power down, and would do either without warning. Not only was it annoying, it was something which easily could’ve resulted in me getting lost on some areas of Canada in which I’ve never travelled. But I tried to resuscitate her, and she even showed signs of life a few times. She went in her sleep, apparently, not even caring to say “goodbye”.

But, all is not lost. Today will be rebirth, of sorts, as I procure Lola’s replacement. I could wrestle with Mapquest, or Google Maps, but that’s just far too pedestrian for such a 21st century guy. I could use the navigation on my Droid, but the roaming charges would kill me. So, I’ll bite the bullet and plunk down the likely two hundred bucks for Lola’s replacement, and I will give her a trial-by-fire, so to speak, as I initiate her in the frigid climes of Alberta, Canada.

I’m just hoping she has that same sexy British accent…

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...