Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gotta' Love The Airlines...

My Wednesday began as most any other Wednesday, or any other day, would. I wake up, put a pot of coffee on, and head to the back deck for a morning smoke and some backgammon on my EVO phone (which, by the way, is completely bitchin’).

After turning my phone on, I see that I have a voicemail. Now, it’s 5:30 in the morning, and I went to bed at 11:00pm. Who the hell would be calling me and leaving a voicemail?

United Airlines, that’s who.

“Mr. Parr, for your loyal patronage, we’d like to bestow upon you lifetime Executive Status. Enjoy your seat in First Class on your upcoming trip”.

Would’ve been nice, huh? But, alas, no such luck.

It seems they’ve seen fit to cancel my 10:35pm flight out of San Diego tonight. “Don’t worry, we’ve rebooked you on the next available flight. You’ll depart San Diego on flight number umptyscratch, arriving in Jacksonville at 4:35pm on Thursday.

Huh?

No, this would not do. I have every intention of being in Florida before the Today Show is over.

I have no idea why they cancelled the flight. It was too early to do it because of weather in Washington DC (I was to have a layover at Dulles), and weather certainly isn’t an issue in the idyllic city in which I choose to reside, San Diego. All I can think of is that not enough people wanted to fly from San Diego to International to Dulles on a red-eye.

To their credit, the Customer Service guy I spoke with was pretty damn helpful. I told him that the rebooked flight would be fine, provided I wanted to get there tomorrow night. As we’ve established, I want to be there in the morning. He was able to rebook me on a flight from San Diego to Los Angeles, Los Angeles to Chicago, and then Chicago to Jacksonville. I’ll actually get to Jacksonville an hour earlier than originally planned (although I have to leave three hours earlier).

I have a three hour layover in Los Angeles, so maybe I’ll post an update.

Hell, I’m gonna’ need something to do…

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Hours...

The final hours in Seattle were fun, low voltage and relaxing. Jess and I have learned not to plan minute by minute and having everything la...